Purely You Spa, Naples’ only all-organic spa, is offering yoga classes focused specifically on core strengthening and alleviating back pain on Saturday, August 29 at 8:30 a.m. and Friday, September 18 at 7 p.m.“As we age, the core muscles naturally weaken which puts extra weight on the spinal vertebrae and the muscles in the back. The result of this weakening may induce lower back pain and degenerate discs. Strengthening our core muscles helps create greater structural balance and prevents back pain.” Jennifer Alvarez Linguidi, Purely You Spa Director, said.Purely You Spa, Laura Grabinski, Expert Yoga Instructor will lead the group through a series of postures to strengthen the core and back, improve posture and balance, and calm the mind. All attendees will be able to enjoy complimentary aromatherapy and will receive a $50.00 gift certificate towards their 1st “private” yoga session at PYS.The fee for each summer “group” class is $18 and includes antioxidant green tea and organic fruit. The class is free for Purely You Spa Members. Purely You Spa is located at 3066 Tamiami Trail N. Suite 302 in Naples.
We’re edging our way into Spring and everything seems to be coming up green – the plants are beginning to bloom, St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner and it’s National Nutrition Month!
Spring is about casting off the heaviness of winter and embracing the new waiting to emerge within and around us. You can maximize these seasonal changes by shedding the old and planting something new in your life:
- Go through your closets and donate items that no longer fit, are out of style or you just haven’t worn in 6 or more months.
- Sort through your cupboards/refrigerator and toss out expired items and junk food. Start Spring fresh with seasonal fruits and veggies and feel your body lighten up naturally.
- Add some green both to your plate and home. Greens detox the body and provide power-house nutrients to recharge cells. Kale, spinach, cabbage (in keeping with St. Patty’s Day), brussel sprouts and collards are few to ease into your diet through soups and salads. For the home, select plants that not only are beautiful, but help filter the toxins in the air – Areca Palm, Bamboo Palm, Boston Fern, Dracaena Janet Graig, Dwarf Date Palm, English Ivy, Ficus Alii, Lady Palm, Peace Lily and, the “fav” among researchers, the Rubber Plant.
- Get moving! Go outside and enjoy the lovely weather while you can – walk the dog, jog with a neighbor, ride bikes with your kids. Even 20 minutes a day starts a habit that will benefit your mind, body and spirit!
- Schedule some “me time.” Whether that’s sitting on the patio reading a book, luxuriating in the tub, or pampering yourself with a massage or facial – these precious moments will help rejuvenate your body and refresh your mind.
- Green Tea: Instead of reaching for green beer this Saint Patrick’s Day, nourish your body with green tea! Green tea has multiple health benefits that can make you look and feel fantastic. Green tea has been thought to promote longevity, aid in heart problems, support healthier metabolism and immune systems, promote younger looking and healthier skin, increase blood flow, and increase energy. While green tea itself may not help you lose weight, its use as a substitute for higher-calorie drinks will have your body thanking you! At Purely You Spa, we have fallen in love with PURE Inventions Antioxidant Green Tea which contains no sugar, calories, caffeine, sodium, gluten, stimulants, artificial colors, or artificial sweeteners. Consider swapping your next sugary beverage (or St. Patty’s Day beer) for green tea that your body will crave.
This is the perfect time of year to try our Ageless Beauty Facial – a highly relaxing, anti-aging facial for all skin types that is customized for your skin. Mild and tranquil exfoliating reveals timeless, radiant skin!
And, be sure to celebrate all life’s joys, naturally – including St. Patrick’s Day!
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain.
May the rain fall softly upon your fields. And the sun shine warm upon your face.
At Purely You Spa, we don’t just offer traditional spa services. While we do specialize in classic treatments, our team is dedicated to all around well-being.
We are happy to be offering couples yoga classes! Our yoga instructor, Laura, specializes in Hatha yoga, Vinyasa flow, relaxation meditation, gentle yoga, and power class. Yoga is a wonderful way to spend time with your loved one in a complete mind and body experience.
All of our classes are customized specifically for your needs. Typically in her 50-minute sessions, Laura reserves the last 10 minutes for relaxing meditation. Laura is committed to making sure each session fulfills your personal goals in a warm, relaxed, and safe environment.
For the month of February, our couple’s yoga classes are offered at $140 (normally $190 value). This makes a perfect Valentine’s Day gift. Laura is offering customized classes on Thursday, February 12th at 12pm, 1:30pm, and 3pm. We would love to book your customized class today!
Spa Concierge: 239-331-8266
At Purely You Spa, all-round wellness is important to us. We don’t only want you to experience the most exhilarating organic spa treatments you’ve ever had, but to practice wellness in your everyday lives.
For this Valentine’s Day, we’ve adapted a recipe from www.lovefoodandthought.com just for you! Now you can experience chocolate’s health benefits at home with this delicious “fudge” AND with our chocolate lavender massage! There’s nothing better than an organic, gluten-free, vegan chocolate dessert after your special Valentine’s Day spa treatments!
1 organic avocado
7 pitted organic dates
3 tablespoons organic coconut oil
2 tablespoons organic maple syrup
¾ cup organic bittersweet chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
Organic fresh berries, for garnish
1. Combine avocado, dates, coconut oil, maple syrup, and chocolate together in a food processor. Blend until smooth, about 4 minutes.
2. Spoon this mixture into individual ramekins and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Garnish with fresh berries and enjoy.
We would love to hear from you! Comment below when you try our recipe or experience our spa treatments!
Also, don’t forget you can always review us on Trip Advisor or Yelp. Thank you in advance for including details and your therapist’s name when reviewing.
There’s a lot of buzz about being mindful and the importance of meditation for our overall health and wellbeing. Despite the numerous benefits, so many of us are afraid to dip our toes in that pool of tranquility for numerous reasons, including not having the time and believing we won’t ‘succeed’ at stillness.
Beyond creating a general sense of wellbeing that makes life more enjoyable, there are some very specific ways mindfulness benefits us:
- Relieves stress
- Treats heart disease
- Lowers blood pressure
- Reduces chronic pain
- Improves sleep
- Alleviates gastrointestinal difficulties
- Eases depression
- Improves ability to communicate
- Improves ability to handle conflict
- Enhances self-esteem
- Improves satisfaction with life
- Creates greater capacity to deal with stressful life events
- Reduces worry and regrets
- Enhances connections with other people
- Helps with addressing mental health issues, including substance abuse, eating disorders, anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorder
Here in the USA, we’re just catching up to what most of the world knows: mindfulness works by helping us to accept our life experiences – good, bad and ugly – instead of merely reacting to avoid them.
This “practice” helps us deal with life – the odd situations we encounter, the conditions often placed on us that are less than ideal, the amazing blessings we encounter and, of course, our personal and professional relationships.
Right about now, you’re thinking “That’s all lovely, but I don’t have TIME to meditate and I wouldn’t be good at it anyway.”
Fortunately, you can reap the benefits of mindfulness without spending hours a day meditating. The key is becoming more present, or aware, in your daily moments. You can start process this by accepting where you are at in any given situation. Maybe it’s walking the dog, or doing the dishes…
- Be present. Take a deep breath and really try to dive into your mundane tasks, giving them your full attention. Maybe you actually take time to feel the heat of the water while doing the dishes; look at the trees or play with your dog while walking him.
- Try gratitude. Consider for just a brief moment how fortunate you are to experience the unconditional love of your dog, or that you can afford food to eat and clean water to wash your dishes. Take it a step further – recognize and give thanks that you are physically able to wash dishes or walk your dog. Be thankful for the smallest of blessings because they often times are great treasures we simply take for granted. (Ask anyone with a broken arm or using crutches about the challenges of the daily activities we all simply “do” without thought).
- Keep it simple. When your mind starts to wander, and it will, just keep coming back to the basics. Feel the soapy water or the sensation of your feet hitting the pavement. Take a deep breath and notice the aroma of the meal you just enjoyed, or the scent of night jasmine starting to fill the air as you walk.
- Expand it. Keep practicing mindfulness in little moments throughout your day and then start applying these principles to the larger situations or experiences in your life. Savor that cup of coffee and then really participate in the conversation that you are having with a coworker.
What you’ll find over time is that you start approach things with a slightly different “eye.” While waiting in traffic you might get frustrated, take a deep breath, look out the window and start to truly enjoy the sunshine, or relax into the song on the radio.
When your boss calls upset, you somehow manage to “step back” and realize that you can respond by listening instead of reacting, realizing he needs to “vent” before you speak and provide a suitable resolution to the problem.
You might even find yourself sitting quietly in a chair just enjoying the sounds of the house around you and, before you know it, discover that you want to carve-out time each day to enjoy the stillness as you let your thoughts drift on by.
For more information on healthy living or to set up an organic lifestyle consultation contact Purely You Spa at 239-331-8266.
While there is some good research as to the benefits of drinking coffee, there is another choice out there that is a truly stellar alternative for your morning brew – green tea!
Research shows a plethora of reasons you should be adding three to four cups of this elixir to your daily routine, including the following:
- Helps reduce your risk of cancer. In fact, the antioxidant in green tea is 24 times more effective than vitamin E and 100 times better than vitamin C at protecting your cells from damage.
- Contains polyphenols which guard against free radicals, reducing signs of aging, including wrinkles, and promotes overall longevity.
- Reduces stress and anxiety due to levels of the amino acid L-theanine.
- Boosts immune system with high content of polyphenols and flavonoids. Combined with high concentrations of Vitamin C, green tea can help prevent colds and flus.
- Helps prevent stroke and heart disease by lowering “bad” cholesterol levels while raising “good” cholesterol levels. It also enhances recovery if you’ve had a heart attack.
- Prevents high blood pressure by repressing angiotensin.
- Improves lipid and glucose metabolism, preventing spikes in blood sugar levels helping prevent or address diabetes.
- Boosts your metabolism and stops the movement of glucose in fat cells – helps burn fat and reduce obesity. In fact, it burns up to 70 calories a day (that’s 7 pounds a year).
- Boosts memory and may slow the reduction of acetylcholine in the brain – the cause of Alzheimer’s – and slows the progression of Parkinson’s Disease by preventing cell damage in the brain.
- Kills the bacteria that cause food poisoning, as well as the pesky toxins produced by the bacteria.
- Relaxes muscles supporting the bronchial tubes, improving asthma.
- Reduces/prevents the risk of rheumatoid arthritis by blocking an enzyme that destroys cartilage.
- Relieves allergies due to the high levels of EGCG in the tea.
With all these health benefits, it’s really wise to incorporate it into your daily routine. However, if drinking four or more cups of green tea a day seems a bit daunting, we understand. You can enjoy all the wellness of up to 10 cups of green tea in just one serving of Pure Inventions’ antioxidant green tea “supplement.” Just add a dropper full of Pure to a cup of warm or cold water and enjoy.
As a bonus, Pure is FREE from sugar, calories, caffeine, sodium, gluten, stimulants, artificial colors and sweeteners. Plus, it comes in several great tasting flavors and requires no “brewing” – original green tea, raspberry, peace, tropical, vanilla crème and pineapple coconut.
For more information, please call 239.331.8266, or visit www.PurelyYouSpa.com.
Blog – Ashiatsu Massage
The foundation for Ashiatsu Massage can be found in Traditional Chinese Medicine and is still performed in China and Japan by practioners trained in a holistic approach to wellness.
A specialized form of massage, Ashiatsu involves expertly trained therapists using bars and other props for support as they walk strategically on clients’ backs, using their feet to tap into the energy channels in the body, known as meridians.
The bars, on the ceiling at Purely You Spa, allow the therapist to vary pressure and weight, ensuring your safety, relaxation and healing. The broad surface of the foot provides a warm, soothing stretch without the discomfort that sometimes accompanies other deep tissue treatments.
Ashiatsu induces a deep relaxation, relieving tight muscles and stress while stimulating the body’s healing abilities. Since the therapists are tapping the meridian points, guests may also leave feeling refreshed and stimulated.
This modality is also excellent for sports preparation and athletic maintenance as it incorporates aspects of stretching and, of course, the large muscle groups are engaged.
So, if you’re looking to walk away from your spa experience feeling euphorically relaxed, healed and “free” – call Purely You Spa to try this Western therapy: 239.331.8266, or book online at www.PurelyYouSpa.com
Sometimes it’s the simple things we need to remember, but often forget, during the various holidays. Case in point, the Fourth of July. While most of us are aware we’re celebrating the nation’s freedom from the British, many of us overlook the basic rights inherent in being an American. For example, you have the ability to choose many, many things. You can choose a religion, a political stance, the type of music you listen to, who your friends are, even what you eat, where and when. At Purely You Spa, we have chosen to be an organic day spa because of the freedoms this affords our staff and clientele – freedom from toxic chemicals, freedom to de-stress and relax, naturally. I don’t want to get too carried away here, after all, July 4th is also about the parties, parades and fireworks. But, for a moment, let’s look at some of the ways we can liberate ourselves from the toxic people, places and things in our lives:
• Reduce, reuse and recycle – you know the adage…if you haven’t worn it, used it or looked at it in 6 months, it’s time to go. Also, recycle your cans, plastics and the like. We only have as much freedom as we do space to enjoy it!
• Go green – skip on the toxic hand sanitizers, bleach and other harsh chemicals that harm you, your children, pets and the environment. doTerra essential oils (and other companies) offer much healthier and safer alternatives.
• Go organic – whenever possible choose organic. It isn’t always easy to do because of costs, but the reality is that by selecting organic whenever possible, you reduce your toxic load, improve your health and wellbeing and reduce medical costs over time. Start with meat/poultry and dairy. The Environmental Working Group’s website (www.ewg.org) can help you identify the safest products and know which fruits and veggies are in the you should purchase organic.
• Liberate yourself from the toxic people in your life – I know, you can’t get rid of family and have to work for a living. That being said, you can lessen the impact of “Debbie Downers,” “Negative Nates” and the others who drain you in body, mind and spirit. Limit your time with “energy vampires” and spend more time with those people that lift your spirits.
• Spend time in nature – this is a great way to offset the impact of draining work and people, as well as help you relish in the nature beauty of our country. Hit the beach, or a trail…take time out to celebrate Mother Nature and all her wonder.
• Exercise – not everyone enjoys the freedom of a body that is able to express through movement so if you can, please do! Dancing, laughing, playing and exercise actually helps detoxify your body by increasing circulation and lymphatic drainage… it does a body and mind good!
• Do nothing – the ultimate freedom…the freedom to do absolutely nothing and enjoy it without guilt or shame! Embrace some solitude and relax; get a massage or manicure, whatever allows your mind and body to completely relax and let go. Celebrate your independence this July 4th by taking care of yourself and the planet, naturally. For more tips and information, Like us on Facebook at Purely You Spa Services (https://www.facebook.com/purelyyouspa), or visit www.PurelyYouSpa.com
Happy Fourth of July!!!
Men…Father’s need some unwinding and enjoy not only on Father’s Day, but every day, naturally! Please find some ideas below so you if you are a DAD or pass along these tips to your DAD or a special someone!
- Get back to nature: Go to the beach and relax; take a long walk or jog; go kayaking. Even a few hours in nature can have a profound
effect on your body, mind and spirit!
- Enjoy being a dad: Have fun with family, naturally! Watch a movie together, play a game, enjoy a picnic lunch or snacks under the stars.
- Go ahead, GRILL: It’s Dad’s day so prepare his favorite meal or serve as his sous chef, prepping and cleaning while allowing him the glory of the grill.
- Gadgets: Can be great stress relievers! Rubik’s cubes, that much desired espresso machine, the latest and greatest kitchen utensil or even a lawnmower – when wanted – they help make life easier and that alone helps reduce stress!
- Get intimate: Being intimate with your partner reduces stress by getting your mind off your problems and, like other forms of physical activity, it has a positive effect on your blood pressure, heart rate, breathing, etc.
- Good nutrition: A balanced and healthy diet is fuel for the body and brain. Getting plenty of veggies, fruits and protein, along with drinking plenty of filtered water, provides the essential building blocks the body needs to remain healthy and active, naturally.
- Turn-on the tunes: Research shows that certain audio frequencies can modify your brain activity. So try listening to something inspirational or pleasant before you sleep.
- Hang-out with your friends: Whether it’s attending a sporting event, game night/poker night, or playing a pick-up game of BB, time with friends
- Enjoy some solo time: No friends, no family – just you and a book, movie, hot shower or bath, even going for a walk or drive.
- Massage: It relaxes and nourishes the body, mind and spirit, naturally!
While men often find it hard to nurture themselves, doing so is important for overall health and well-being. That’s why, this month only, Dads receive 10% OFF any facial or waxing service in honor of Father’s Day! To schedule a facial, massage, or body treatment for yourself or your father you may do so by calling our spa concierge at 239-331-8266.
Beyond “feeling good,” research shows that prenatal massage is good for the body, mind and spirit of both mother and child!
According to the American Pregnancy Association, professional massage can:
- Improve labor outcomes
- Improve newborn health
- Reduce the mother’s anxiety and depression
- Relieve the aches and pains of pregnancy
So, why aren’t more moms-to-be (and babies) enjoying the mind, body, spirit benefits of massage? They don’t know the facts.
Most prenatal massages, including the Mother-to-Be Massage we offer at Purely You Spa, are adapted versions of Swedish Massage. This gentle massage technique involves applying light pressure to muscle groups resulting in improved lymphatic and blood circulation, relaxation and a reduction in the aches and pains caused by shifting hormones.
In fact, research reveals that women who received bi-weekly pre-natal massages for only five weeks saw a reduction in the “stress hormones” norepinephrine and cortisol, as well as an increase in “feel good” hormones dopamine and serotonin. These changes led to fewer complications during the birth process and fewer complications for newborns themselves.
Since massage improves circulation of the blood and lymph, it reduces edema – the swelling in hands and feet that so often occurs during pregnancy. Getting your fluids flowing again not only reduces pain and swelling, but helps remove waste carried by the body’s lymph system – a win for you and your baby.
Additionally, regular massage can address the sciatic pain that many women experience as the baby grows and its weight presses into the muscles of the lower back, spreading tension to the legs and putting pressure on nerves. Massage eases tension on the muscles, reducing nerve swelling which helps alleviate pain.
Motherhood massages can also ease back pain, joint discomfort, tension headaches, as well as help promote better sleep and improve oxygenation of soft tissues and muscles.
Clearly, adding massage therapy to your prenatal routine provides benefits you and your baby!
However, just like what you eat, it’s critically important you are aware of what you are putting ON your body, especially during pregnancy as everything filters through to the life you are growing inside of you.
This is why Purely You Spa uses only organic products during our Mother-To-Be Massage. It’s also why we are cautious with what essential oils we use with our pregnant clients.
As with massage, aromatherapy during pregnancy can help relax or uplift you, depending on your need, but should be approached with a healthy respect.
It’s critical that you use the highest quality natural essential oils, not those manufactured from harsh chemicals.
Whatever treatments you schedule, be sure to let the spa staff know you are pregnant and how far along you are in the pregnancy. This will help them select the correct oils for aromatherapy, as well as be prepared with appropriate support pillows for your massage.
At home, oils can be diffused or applied to the skin, but only after a few drops are mixed with a “carrier” such as coconut oil to dilute it. Mixing essential oils with coconut oil and massaging into the feet is a wonderful way to experience their benefits.
Diffusing oils is a wonderful way to use them during pregnancy because you are inhaling them verses applying them onto your body. For best results, look for a heat-free diffuser so that the essential oils aren’t being altered.
The general rule-of-thumb is that the following oils are safe during pregnancy:
- Bergamot – calming aroma and relieves anxiety, stress and depression
- Coriander – calming and yet gently uplifting
- Frankincense – mood uplifting and stress relief; calming
- Geranium – uplifting and gently inspiring; evokes a sense of calm and tranquility
- Grapefruit – induces positive feelings of hope; relieves depression, anxiety and stress
- Lavender – assists the body in adapting to stress/imbalances; relaxing and winding down before bedtime; balancing properties to boost stamina and energy
- Lemon – uplifting to the body and mind; improves concentration
- Sandalwood – deep relaxation of the nervous system; natural sleep remedy; improves concentration and eliminates brain fog
- Wild Orange – happiness and warmth
- Ylang Ylang – fights depression; relaxes body and soul; drives away anxiety, sadness and chronic stress; induces feelings of joy and hope
While I don’t want to scare you, it is critical that you AVOID the following essential oils during pregnancy and lactation for your safety and that of your child – please note that we are asking you to avoid these items in their essential oil form, not as a spice, or food product:
- Almond – bitter
- Black pepper
- Stinging nettle
Whether you’re a mom-to-be interested in learning more about our Mother-To-Be Massage and the use of essential oils during pregnancy and lactation, or a loved one looking to create the perfect Gift Bag or Spa experience for an expecting mother, Purely You Spa staff are happy to help!
In fact, we provide a complimentary Gift Bag for all our mothers-to-be! For more information and to schedule your spa experience, email us at info@PurelyYouSpa.com, call 239.331.8266, or visit us online at www.PurelyYouSpa.com