Teen skin care – it’s a topic we visit every year because, hey, we’ve all been there!
Blemishes, blackheads, bleak skin, and the “blah” feeling that goes along with them. The discomfort is bad enough, but for tweens, teens, and young adults, having to deal with it while they juggle school, sports, friends, and everything else makes it even harder! Don’t worry, as always, Purely You Spa has you covered with this year’s fresh look and easy-to-follow natural tips towards feeling fabulous for fall and forever.
Let’s start simple (sorry, we know that word rhymes with “pimple”) – when you look at the leading causes of acne, it’s no wonder teens struggle the most with skin care! Some of the top culprits include stress, not having time to wash your face, hormones, dairy or sugar consumption, medications, and using new or harmful skin care products – basically we just described every teenager’s life on the whole planet!
But, have no fear – your skin can be clear! Here are a variety of easy-to-do changes you can make into helpful categories to see drastic improvement in less than a month. Read on!
• Figure out what’s causing you to feel stressed.
• Take time to understand how you react to that stress.
• Find effective ways to deal with stress before it builds up and causes a breakout.
• Try a great product like Natural Calm (call us for details, 239-331-8266 – this stuff is amazing!)
• Try yoga, exercise (see below!), meditation, massage, aromatherapy, fun time with friends and family, or anything else that works for YOU.
• Remember to drink plenty of water!
• Work out regularly (3-5x/week) to reduce anxiety and boost blood flow.
• Keep your hair off your face during a workout.
• Always shower or bathe right after exercise.
• Avoid clothing or exercise equipment that rubs on the skin or causes irritation.
• Try to limit exposure to hats, goggles, or helmets that cause you to sweat excessively, irritate skin, and increase bacteria.
• Make sure to wash all your exercise clothing in between workouts.
• Stay protected from the sun as it can cause inflammation and redness. Look for a non-acnegenic sunscreen to decrease the chance of new pimples.
Diet & Supplements
• Take your weight and divide by 2 for the number of ounces of water you should drink per day.
• Within reason and with a healthy diet, stay away from dairy, sugar, wheat, and gluten.
• Eat as many GREENS as possible, and reduce caffeine intake.
• Feed your skin with Vitamin A and beta-carotene (delicious foods like carrots, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe, apricots, kale, and spinach!).
• Fiber is also extremely important.
• Take the “Clear Skin” Eminence Organic Skin Care VitaSkin Vitamin 1x per day (call 239-331-8266 for details) to help what’s on the inside clear up what’s on the outside! Probiotics or digestive enzymes can be helpful as well.
• Don’t. Touch. Your. Face. Ever (Unless you are washing your face!). Picking or popping can increases sebum production and cause more breakouts.
• Wash hands frequently and carry antibacterial hand sanitizer.
• Wash your pillow case every 2 days as it absorbs oils and dirt from your skin.
• Clean your glasses and sunglasses to prevent clogged pores around your eyes and nose.
• Cleanse your skin morning and night – don’t wash too frequently or use harsh cleansers.
• Use an antibacterial toner that doesn’t have alcohol.
• Do not scrub or use any sort of rough cloth, use gentle disposal cloths or Kleenex wipes.
• Sanitize make-up brushes daily with non-harsh products.
• Use natural make-up and skin care products that do not clog your pores (ask us about GLO Minerals!)
So, even though “simple” rhymes with “pimple”, natural acne prevention and care really is a breeze – IF you take the time to take care of your skin the natural and healthy way!
Purely You Spa is here to provide you with whatever resources you need to fight skin issues and take care of your well-being. If you or someone you care about is suffering from acne, Estheticians Jennifer Alvarez and Amber Stuntz will be providing complimentary Skin Care Analysis to help develop custom plans for clear skin.
Together we’ll motivate behavior change, discover tips and tricks, and get everybody ready to start the school year looking and feeling their best!