Purely You Spa, Naples’ only all-organic spa, is offering yoga classes focused specifically on core strengthening and alleviating back pain on Saturday, August 29 at 8:30 a.m. and Friday, September 18 at 7 p.m.“As we age, the core muscles naturally weaken which puts extra weight on the spinal vertebrae and the muscles in the back. The result of this weakening may induce lower back pain and degenerate discs. Strengthening our core muscles helps create greater structural balance and prevents back pain.” Jennifer Alvarez Linguidi, Purely You Spa Director, said.Purely You Spa, Laura Grabinski, Expert Yoga Instructor will lead the group through a series of postures to strengthen the core and back, improve posture and balance, and calm the mind. All attendees will be able to enjoy complimentary aromatherapy and will receive a $50.00 gift certificate towards their 1st “private” yoga session at PYS.The fee for each summer “group” class is $18 and includes antioxidant green tea and organic fruit. The class is free for Purely You Spa Members. Purely You Spa is located at 3066 Tamiami Trail N. Suite 302 in Naples.
Men…Father’s need some unwinding and enjoy not only on Father’s Day, but every day, naturally! Please find some ideas below so you if you are a DAD or pass along these tips to your DAD or a special someone!
- Get back to nature: Go to the beach and relax; take a long walk or jog; go kayaking. Even a few hours in nature can have a profound
effect on your body, mind and spirit!
- Enjoy being a dad: Have fun with family, naturally! Watch a movie together, play a game, enjoy a picnic lunch or snacks under the stars.
- Go ahead, GRILL: It’s Dad’s day so prepare his favorite meal or serve as his sous chef, prepping and cleaning while allowing him the glory of the grill.
- Gadgets: Can be great stress relievers! Rubik’s cubes, that much desired espresso machine, the latest and greatest kitchen utensil or even a lawnmower – when wanted – they help make life easier and that alone helps reduce stress!
- Get intimate: Being intimate with your partner reduces stress by getting your mind off your problems and, like other forms of physical activity, it has a positive effect on your blood pressure, heart rate, breathing, etc.
- Good nutrition: A balanced and healthy diet is fuel for the body and brain. Getting plenty of veggies, fruits and protein, along with drinking plenty of filtered water, provides the essential building blocks the body needs to remain healthy and active, naturally.
- Turn-on the tunes: Research shows that certain audio frequencies can modify your brain activity. So try listening to something inspirational or pleasant before you sleep.
- Hang-out with your friends: Whether it’s attending a sporting event, game night/poker night, or playing a pick-up game of BB, time with friends
- Enjoy some solo time: No friends, no family – just you and a book, movie, hot shower or bath, even going for a walk or drive.
- Massage: It relaxes and nourishes the body, mind and spirit, naturally!
While men often find it hard to nurture themselves, doing so is important for overall health and well-being. That’s why, this month only, Dads receive 10% OFF any facial or waxing service in honor of Father’s Day! To schedule a facial, massage, or body treatment for yourself or your father you may do so by calling our spa concierge at 239-331-8266.
Beyond “feeling good,” research shows that prenatal massage is good for the body, mind and spirit of both mother and child!
According to the American Pregnancy Association, professional massage can:
- Improve labor outcomes
- Improve newborn health
- Reduce the mother’s anxiety and depression
- Relieve the aches and pains of pregnancy
So, why aren’t more moms-to-be (and babies) enjoying the mind, body, spirit benefits of massage? They don’t know the facts.
Most prenatal massages, including the Mother-to-Be Massage we offer at Purely You Spa, are adapted versions of Swedish Massage. This gentle massage technique involves applying light pressure to muscle groups resulting in improved lymphatic and blood circulation, relaxation and a reduction in the aches and pains caused by shifting hormones.
In fact, research reveals that women who received bi-weekly pre-natal massages for only five weeks saw a reduction in the “stress hormones” norepinephrine and cortisol, as well as an increase in “feel good” hormones dopamine and serotonin. These changes led to fewer complications during the birth process and fewer complications for newborns themselves.
Since massage improves circulation of the blood and lymph, it reduces edema – the swelling in hands and feet that so often occurs during pregnancy. Getting your fluids flowing again not only reduces pain and swelling, but helps remove waste carried by the body’s lymph system – a win for you and your baby.
Additionally, regular massage can address the sciatic pain that many women experience as the baby grows and its weight presses into the muscles of the lower back, spreading tension to the legs and putting pressure on nerves. Massage eases tension on the muscles, reducing nerve swelling which helps alleviate pain.
Motherhood massages can also ease back pain, joint discomfort, tension headaches, as well as help promote better sleep and improve oxygenation of soft tissues and muscles.
Clearly, adding massage therapy to your prenatal routine provides benefits you and your baby!
However, just like what you eat, it’s critically important you are aware of what you are putting ON your body, especially during pregnancy as everything filters through to the life you are growing inside of you.
This is why Purely You Spa uses only organic products during our Mother-To-Be Massage. It’s also why we are cautious with what essential oils we use with our pregnant clients.
As with massage, aromatherapy during pregnancy can help relax or uplift you, depending on your need, but should be approached with a healthy respect.
It’s critical that you use the highest quality natural essential oils, not those manufactured from harsh chemicals.
Whatever treatments you schedule, be sure to let the spa staff know you are pregnant and how far along you are in the pregnancy. This will help them select the correct oils for aromatherapy, as well as be prepared with appropriate support pillows for your massage.
At home, oils can be diffused or applied to the skin, but only after a few drops are mixed with a “carrier” such as coconut oil to dilute it. Mixing essential oils with coconut oil and massaging into the feet is a wonderful way to experience their benefits.
Diffusing oils is a wonderful way to use them during pregnancy because you are inhaling them verses applying them onto your body. For best results, look for a heat-free diffuser so that the essential oils aren’t being altered.
The general rule-of-thumb is that the following oils are safe during pregnancy:
- Bergamot – calming aroma and relieves anxiety, stress and depression
- Coriander – calming and yet gently uplifting
- Frankincense – mood uplifting and stress relief; calming
- Geranium – uplifting and gently inspiring; evokes a sense of calm and tranquility
- Grapefruit – induces positive feelings of hope; relieves depression, anxiety and stress
- Lavender – assists the body in adapting to stress/imbalances; relaxing and winding down before bedtime; balancing properties to boost stamina and energy
- Lemon – uplifting to the body and mind; improves concentration
- Sandalwood – deep relaxation of the nervous system; natural sleep remedy; improves concentration and eliminates brain fog
- Wild Orange – happiness and warmth
- Ylang Ylang – fights depression; relaxes body and soul; drives away anxiety, sadness and chronic stress; induces feelings of joy and hope
While I don’t want to scare you, it is critical that you AVOID the following essential oils during pregnancy and lactation for your safety and that of your child – please note that we are asking you to avoid these items in their essential oil form, not as a spice, or food product:
- Almond – bitter
- Black pepper
- Stinging nettle
Whether you’re a mom-to-be interested in learning more about our Mother-To-Be Massage and the use of essential oils during pregnancy and lactation, or a loved one looking to create the perfect Gift Bag or Spa experience for an expecting mother, Purely You Spa staff are happy to help!
In fact, we provide a complimentary Gift Bag for all our mothers-to-be! For more information and to schedule your spa experience, email us at info@PurelyYouSpa.com, call 239.331.8266, or visit us online at www.PurelyYouSpa.com
Many people start the New Year with resolutions. In this sense, a resolution is “a decision to do something.” So, a resolution is pretty good. But, what’s even better than a decision is an ACTION!
At Purely You Spa, we want you to make the best decisions for a balanced life. Just as importantly, we want to provide you the tools to make it happen!
Through our Lifestyle Planning services, our professional staff provides you the skills, tips and services to not only make healthy decisions, but implement simple changes in your daily life that can literally transform your body, mind and spirit. In doing so, your health, relationships and life becomes richer.
Programs such as our “New Year…New You!” class, set for Saturday, January 11, 2014, from 10 a.m. to noon, help ensure your success by not only helping you to create long term goals for health and wellness, but providing you information on the small steps you can take throughout the day to create lasting change.
We offer similar courses throughout the year, as well as individuals and couples sessions. Moreover, we’re happy to “come to you” – providing educational and enlightening programs to your clubs, civic organizations and social circles – where we delve into:
- Making organic choices
- Shopping strategies for a healthy lifestyle
- Staying fit for life
- Using essential oils
- Nutrition for optimal wellness
- Nurturing and self-care
- Creating balance
- Food as medicine
If you haven’t realized it yet, going “all out all the time” isn’t the most productive way for us to lead our lives. As you will see, even a few moments a day to take care of yourself can have a monumental impact.
So whether you start by granting yourself permission to read a book “for fun,” booking a spa treatment, choosing to go organic or joining our “New Year…New You!” course, it’s time for one small ACTION today!
For more information on programs and services, call Purely You Spa at 239.331.8266, or visit www.PurelyYouSpa.com
Teen skin care – it’s a topic we visit every year because, hey, we’ve all been there!
Blemishes, blackheads, bleak skin, and the “blah” feeling that goes along with them. The discomfort is bad enough, but for tweens, teens, and young adults, having to deal with it while they juggle school, sports, friends, and everything else makes it even harder! Don’t worry, as always, Purely You Spa has you covered with this year’s fresh look and easy-to-follow natural tips towards feeling fabulous for fall and forever.
Let’s start simple (sorry, we know that word rhymes with “pimple”) – when you look at the leading causes of acne, it’s no wonder teens struggle the most with skin care! Some of the top culprits include stress, not having time to wash your face, hormones, dairy or sugar consumption, medications, and using new or harmful skin care products – basically we just described every teenager’s life on the whole planet!
But, have no fear – your skin can be clear! Here are a variety of easy-to-do changes you can make into helpful categories to see drastic improvement in less than a month. Read on!
• Figure out what’s causing you to feel stressed.
• Take time to understand how you react to that stress.
• Find effective ways to deal with stress before it builds up and causes a breakout.
• Try a great product like Natural Calm (call us for details, 239-331-8266 – this stuff is amazing!)
• Try yoga, exercise (see below!), meditation, massage, aromatherapy, fun time with friends and family, or anything else that works for YOU.
• Remember to drink plenty of water!
• Work out regularly (3-5x/week) to reduce anxiety and boost blood flow.
• Keep your hair off your face during a workout.
• Always shower or bathe right after exercise.
• Avoid clothing or exercise equipment that rubs on the skin or causes irritation.
• Try to limit exposure to hats, goggles, or helmets that cause you to sweat excessively, irritate skin, and increase bacteria.
• Make sure to wash all your exercise clothing in between workouts.
• Stay protected from the sun as it can cause inflammation and redness. Look for a non-acnegenic sunscreen to decrease the chance of new pimples.
Diet & Supplements
• Take your weight and divide by 2 for the number of ounces of water you should drink per day.
• Within reason and with a healthy diet, stay away from dairy, sugar, wheat, and gluten.
• Eat as many GREENS as possible, and reduce caffeine intake.
• Feed your skin with Vitamin A and beta-carotene (delicious foods like carrots, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe, apricots, kale, and spinach!).
• Fiber is also extremely important.
• Take the “Clear Skin” Eminence Organic Skin Care VitaSkin Vitamin 1x per day (call 239-331-8266 for details) to help what’s on the inside clear up what’s on the outside! Probiotics or digestive enzymes can be helpful as well.
• Don’t. Touch. Your. Face. Ever (Unless you are washing your face!). Picking or popping can increases sebum production and cause more breakouts.
• Wash hands frequently and carry antibacterial hand sanitizer.
• Wash your pillow case every 2 days as it absorbs oils and dirt from your skin.
• Clean your glasses and sunglasses to prevent clogged pores around your eyes and nose.
• Cleanse your skin morning and night – don’t wash too frequently or use harsh cleansers.
• Use an antibacterial toner that doesn’t have alcohol.
• Do not scrub or use any sort of rough cloth, use gentle disposal cloths or Kleenex wipes.
• Sanitize make-up brushes daily with non-harsh products.
• Use natural make-up and skin care products that do not clog your pores (ask us about GLO Minerals!)
So, even though “simple” rhymes with “pimple”, natural acne prevention and care really is a breeze – IF you take the time to take care of your skin the natural and healthy way!
Purely You Spa is here to provide you with whatever resources you need to fight skin issues and take care of your well-being. If you or someone you care about is suffering from acne, Estheticians Jennifer Alvarez and Amber Stuntz will be providing complimentary Skin Care Analysis to help develop custom plans for clear skin.
Together we’ll motivate behavior change, discover tips and tricks, and get everybody ready to start the school year looking and feeling their best!