Sometimes it’s the simple things we need to remember, but often forget, during the various holidays. Case in point, the Fourth of July. While most of us are aware we’re celebrating the nation’s freedom from the British, many of us overlook the basic rights inherent in being an American. For example, you have the ability to choose many, many things. You can choose a religion, a political stance, the type of music you listen to, who your friends are, even what you eat, where and when. At Purely You Spa, we have chosen to be an organic day spa because of the freedoms this affords our staff and clientele – freedom from toxic chemicals, freedom to de-stress and relax, naturally. I don’t want to get too carried away here, after all, July 4th is also about the parties, parades and fireworks. But, for a moment, let’s look at some of the ways we can liberate ourselves from the toxic people, places and things in our lives:
• Reduce, reuse and recycle – you know the adage…if you haven’t worn it, used it or looked at it in 6 months, it’s time to go. Also, recycle your cans, plastics and the like. We only have as much freedom as we do space to enjoy it!
• Go green – skip on the toxic hand sanitizers, bleach and other harsh chemicals that harm you, your children, pets and the environment. doTerra essential oils (and other companies) offer much healthier and safer alternatives.
• Go organic – whenever possible choose organic. It isn’t always easy to do because of costs, but the reality is that by selecting organic whenever possible, you reduce your toxic load, improve your health and wellbeing and reduce medical costs over time. Start with meat/poultry and dairy. The Environmental Working Group’s website (www.ewg.org) can help you identify the safest products and know which fruits and veggies are in the you should purchase organic.
• Liberate yourself from the toxic people in your life – I know, you can’t get rid of family and have to work for a living. That being said, you can lessen the impact of “Debbie Downers,” “Negative Nates” and the others who drain you in body, mind and spirit. Limit your time with “energy vampires” and spend more time with those people that lift your spirits.
• Spend time in nature – this is a great way to offset the impact of draining work and people, as well as help you relish in the nature beauty of our country. Hit the beach, or a trail…take time out to celebrate Mother Nature and all her wonder.
• Exercise – not everyone enjoys the freedom of a body that is able to express through movement so if you can, please do! Dancing, laughing, playing and exercise actually helps detoxify your body by increasing circulation and lymphatic drainage… it does a body and mind good!
• Do nothing – the ultimate freedom…the freedom to do absolutely nothing and enjoy it without guilt or shame! Embrace some solitude and relax; get a massage or manicure, whatever allows your mind and body to completely relax and let go. Celebrate your independence this July 4th by taking care of yourself and the planet, naturally. For more tips and information, Like us on Facebook at Purely You Spa Services (https://www.facebook.com/purelyyouspa), or visit www.PurelyYouSpa.com
Happy Fourth of July!!!